Would you like to treat your palates and senses with a refreshing and easy to make sweet treat? You’re at the right place. Lady fingers should not be reserved for tiramisu only. Layered with combination of oranges, coconut, creamy ricotta and vanilla sugar, they make perfect healthy alternative to traditional cheese cake. This is a true feel good and energizing stuff; it will elevate your buds and senses after the first spoon, trust me!
The most refreshing and the healthiest no bake cheese cake version. Lady fingers and ricotta are perfect alternatives to the heavy and fatty layers of digestives, butter and mascarpone, while oranges and desiccated coconut flakes bring that extra exotic and invigorating touch. Uhhhhmmm, enjoy!
- 16 pieces lady fingers (4 per person/cup)
- 2 large oranges (or 3 medium)
- 1 tbsp coconut, muscovado or brown non refined sugar
- 100 ml coconut cream
- 250 g ricotta or thick plain cream cheese
- 1 package vanilla sugar (8-10 g.)
- 1 tbsp raw cocoa powder (for topping)
Peel and roughly chop the oranges. Keep the juices as you will use them for boiling. My suggestion is to chop them on a plate, not the chopping board.
Place chopped oranges with its’ juices, sugar, and coconut cream in a cooking bowl and bring it to the boil. Let it simmer on a medium to lower heat for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally and take this opportunity to enjoy delightful & energizing scents being released)) Liquid doesn’t have to evaporate completely; we actually need some for coating of lady fingers later on.
Put boiled oranges aside and let them cool down completely.
Meanwhile, take out serving cups and place 3 out of 4 lady fingers in each (fourth one is used for decoration). You can break them in halves or thirds to fit the bottom.
Afterwards prepare the cheese layer. Place ricotta or cream cheese in a mixing bowl, add vanilla sugar, and stir all well with the spoon to combine it fully. You can use hand mixer, but no need for additional dish washing really, good old spoon and firm stirring will do just fine.
At this stage orange mixture should be cooled down and you are ready to layer the cake.
First gently pour 1 table spoon of cooking liquid over lady fingers (1 tbsp per serving glass). Spread it evenly and let it soak. Needed be, use some extra juice. Then lay 1 quarter of the orange mixture over lady fingers. Drain excess juice from the spoon and use only the flesh. Now top it with the cheese layer which you spread smoothly over the surface. Sprinkle with some raw cocoa powder for the topping. And the final touch - stick the last lady finger in the centre (for edible decoration of course 🙂 ).
Voila! You can start indulging immediately, or you can keep it cooled in a fridge for later.
- Coconut cream – make sure you use very thick coconut cream, or even better – coconut concentrate which you dilute in 100 ml of water if it comes in a form of a block. For this recipe I like to use 100% pure coconut block; I chop about 40 g. and dilute it in 100 ml of hot water. Regular drinking coconut milk would be too weak and wouldn’t bring out a full coconut flavour which is essential for success of this dessert.
- This dessert can stay refrigerated for 2 days.
- Keep excess liquid from orange mixture and use it as addition to a nice smoothie, porridge, or a cocktail!
- Use little glass jars with the lid as a serving dish. That way you created portable dessert which you can bring to work the next day. Surely healthier and yummier than those chocolate bars from the vending machine:-)