“I wish it would be Christmas every daaaay….”. Yes, me too 🙂 In fairness, Christmas is not about that particular calendar day, its’ true essence lies in all those beautiful and uplifting emotions it brings out. Invigorating warm scents of cinnamon, cloves, and homemade sponge cake spreading around the house, warmth, laughter, fulfilling time with the dearest ones… Just overall joy coming from the inside.
He he, wouldn’t it be great if you could pack a bit of that spirit into a tight container, and inhale it now and then during the year when in a need of a mental energy boost? OK, fantasies aside. But let me share a secret; it is possible to experience Christmassy high at any given day. Oh yes! It is actually only a pan away. Follow my newest culinary pancake adventure, and in no time you will be jingling around the house like there is no tomorrow 🙂
It is amazing how you can elevate a basic pancake mix formula to a completely new, magical level, with addition of only few, yet crucial ingredients. A bit of cinnamon, ground cloves, vanilla sugar & freshly squeezed orange juice will lift your spirits up to a heavenly level. Enjoy every single step of preparation, and every single juicy enchanting bite in a good company! x
p.s. This recipe is 100% Santa certified. The entire Northern Pole is covered by a scent of magic pancakes year round 🙂
Discover how "pimping up" a basic pancake mix formula can turn your World around by bringing all those fulfilling holiday season feelings back instantly. Simply yummy and sensual!
- 2 medium eggs
- 3 tsps salt
- 1 tbsp sugar (preferably muscovado, demarara or coconut)
- 200 ml water
- 300 ml milk
- 250 g all purpose flour (for a healthier version use whole grain or spelt)
- 1 medium orange
- 1,5 tsps Ceylon cinnamon
- 0,5 tsp ground cloves (or 2 smashed cloves sticks)
- 5 g vanilla sugar (half of standard sachet, this is optional)
- 2 tbsps sunflower or coconut oil (for frying)
Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, sprinkle with sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves & vanilla sugar (if using), and blend all shortly with electric mixer. Add milk, water, orange juice and flour, then mix all together to a smooth texture.
Leave it to rest for about 30 minutes. You want all ingredients to combine nicely.
In about 30 minutes, stir the mixture, have a little taste, and if needed adjust it to your liking – add tiny bit more of salt or sugar.
Once you are happy with the taste, heat the oil in a pan over medium to slightly higher heat. You will know that the oil is heated once it runs through the pan smoothly (you test this by gently turning the pan).
When ready, pour nearly one full ladle of mixture over the pan (about 3/4) and swirl it around so the bottom is evenly coated. Your pancake is ready to be flipped over once the top gets dry and slightly starts changing colour. Fry for another 45 seconds after flipping and slide it out of the pan. Then off you go with the whole process again until the whole mixture is used.
- For a vegan version, use this simple egg replacement formula: 2 tbsps of linseeds soaked in 6 tbsps of water for 15 min. Stir the mixture occasionally. In no time you will get a jelly texture which plays a role of combining agent.
- Pancakes are sooo freezer friendly. So here is a hint – pack any leftovers, and use them for that special dinner date moment. Its’ sensual taste combined with the right filling lights the fire up instantly. Warning- use responsibly 🙂
- Sole pancakes are already rich in flavour, so go simple with the filling. Heavenly ideas: scoop of your favourite ice cream, jam, or a chocolate spread Nutella style. OK, you can top it up with some whipping cream, that part is never “over the top” ))