It’s a quick fix, extremely delicious yet low in calories, looks after your gut health, feeds your body with well-balanced high quality essential nutrients, fills your belly just right, and fuels your body with full power, so you can run through the day ahead tackling any mental or physical challenge(s) effortlessly. I know, it all sounds too good, but in this case, it is true!
Been struggling with the right breakfast formula for quite a while. I agree that good quality breakfast is essential for successful and powerful start of the day. However, many beautiful and creative healthy breakfast recipes out there kind of omit two very important facts:
- On an average busy day, you literally have couple of minutes to spare for preparation (goodbye shakshuka or pancakes).
- Your body is still waking up, so treat it gently. Loading it with complex carbs and proteins first thing in the morning actually triggers the opposite effect; few extra coffees and sugar cravings later on. By all means, porridge packed with seasonal fruits is good stuff, but I would rather keep it for weekends or a free day, when I have enough time to wake up properly and take my time to digest in peace. Same goes for beans on wholegrain toast, omelets and co.
This one pot power breakfast has been my ultimate morning fuel for couple of weeks now. And it never failed me. Basic ingredients feed your body with all essential macro and micro nutrients: chia & linseeds with good oils, vitamins, minerals and fibers, yogurt with gut health bacteria, calcium and proteins, dry fruits with fibers and natural sugars (carbs), dried goji or other berries with anti-oxidant vitamins, maple or agave syrup with natural sugars (OK, there is a feel good factor there as well 🙂 ).
Additional beauty about this meal is that you can never get bored! You have your basic formula, which you can then upgrade in various creative ways each day (explore few ideas under notes).
May this one pot power breakfast bring you a happy, nutritious, and stress free start of the day! Enjoy its’ true power shower, and have fun “pimping it up” with additional ingredients. Carpe every morning 🙂
A true power shower quick fix breakfast with all necessary macro and micro nutrients to get you going. This recipe guarantees a happy, nutritious, and stress free start of the day – every day!
- 1/2 tbsp linseeds, whole
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tbsp dried goji or other berries (optional)
- 2 large dried figs/dates/ or prunes (or 3 medium)
- 150 ml thick plain yogurt
- 2 tsps maple/agave/rice syrup/ or honey
Place linseeds, chia seeds, dried berries (if using), and dried figs/dates/ or prunes into a mug. Soak it in a lukewarm water, just enough to cover the mix. Let it rest overnight.
In the morning, take dried fruit out and cut it into halves or smaller pieces, depending on the size. Put it back into the mug, add yogurt, and stir all well.
Top it with maple syrup or natural sweetener of your choice.
Time to turn your power charge on 🙂
- Yogurt – thick, 2,8 – 3,5% fat. Skyr is also a good choice, just avoid creamy calories rich varieties such as Greek. Needless to say, good quality plant based plain yogurt is more than welcomed.
- Pimp up ideas:
- Pollen for extra strength and endurance (one of my favourites)
- Gotu kola, matcha, or wheatgrass for rejuvenation and anti-age boost
- Hemp powder, pumpkin, or sunflower seeds for extra proteins and good omega oils
- Fresh berries when in season for additional vitamin boost, especially blueberries or raspberries
- All of these ingredients can be combined, don’t be shy
- Feel free to increase the dose of basic ingredients if/when necessary.
- Not enough time to eat it straight away? No problem at all; this is ideal portable meal. Scoop it into a jar and enjoy a bit later. Don’t forget to pack the spoon 🙂
- My favourite SOS survival kit until the lunch on a busy day – portable power shower breakfast mix featuring one larger banana. Feeds your body and soul just right, trust me.