What exactly happens when you combine delicious homemade pancakes with the famous Italian Caprese salad ingredients? Well, the outcome is hell of a great mouthwatering light lunch or dinner! After just first bite, you will immediately start thinking about rolling up another one, and another one… Maybe my serving portion suggestion is too modest after all 🙂 I mean, who could resist this beautifully balanced blend of yummy warm pancakes, fresh mozzarella slices, sweet juicy tomatoes, and aromatic basil leaves?
It is no secret that I am crazy about pancakes and have no problems to roll up my sleeves for delicious homemade batch. I am always trying to find new innovative ways for the filling. In a way, I consider them as tortillas of the Western World cuisine. Living on the Mediterranean with a strong Italian influence, it kind of came naturally to test out this very exciting fusion.
One thing I like about this meal the most is that it is extremely flexible; whether you serve it in cold or warm version, results are equally brilliant. Besides being a great (and healthy) light lunch or dinner, this dish is ideal easy entertaining choice for a house party – you can prepare pancakes one day or few hours ahead, chop & refrigerate filling ingredients, and just roll and heat it all up when needed.
So get those pans out – you are only 1 hour of dedicated kitchen time away from a true mouth explosion! Buon appetito 🙂
Looking for a new way to pimp up your pancakes? Well, it is time to try out this delicious mouth-watering fusion of homemade pancakes and Italian Caprese salad ingredients.
Just imagine fresh mozzarella slices, sweet juicy tomatoes, and aromatic basil leaves wrapped up in a yummy warm pancake… Yeap, think the kitchen is calling 🙂
- 2 medium eggs
- 3 tsps salt
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 200 ml water
- 300 ml milk
- 250 g flour
- 4 tbsps sunflower or coconut oil (for frying)
- 6 packages fresh mozzarella (125 g. drained weight per package)
- 6 pieces beef or other sort of larger tomatoes (no cherries)
- 36 leaves fresh basil
- 3 tsps salt (pinch per pancake)
- 3 tsps pepper (pinch per pancake)
- 6 tbsps olive oil
First prepare the pancakes (for detailed instructions please see my Perfect Pancakes recipe )
To save some time, you can prepare pancakes day ahead, and leave them refrigerated until the final serving preparations. Pancakes are truly grateful dish and easy to be stored; they can last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days!
Once you are ready to serve, take the chopping board out, and prepare all the filling ingredients:
- chop each mozzarella ball into 6 equally thick slices
- wash and chop each tomato into 8 slices. The easiest way to do this is to cut tomato in half, carve out the hard petal part gently, and then slice each half into 3 vertical slices.
- pick and wash basil leaves
Place each pancake on the serving plate. Starting from the right side, lay one tomato slice, half cover it with one mozzarella slice, then half cover it with one basil leave. Repeat the process two more times, and finish with one tomato slice.
Sprinkle all with a pinch of salt and pepper & drizzle with half table spoon of olive oil (more oil is perfectly fine – go with flow and personal preference).
In the end, fold the pancake and roll it gently.
Repeat the process until all pancakes are filled.
Voila, you are so ready to tuck in, enjoy 🙂
- If you want to make it ultra-Italian, top it up with some good quality creamy aceto balsamico, or even better – omit olive oil all together, and top the filling up with some pesto rosso or Genovese.
- For even healthier version, fell free to sprinkle the filling with some toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds – very yummy))