And it was all yelloooow… (me singing 🙂 ) Yeap, this is how my kitchen looks like these days – bright, filled with sweet and uplifting pumpkin scent.
Low in calories and loaded with nutrients, it is no wonder that this humble veggie has been in a spotlight of my autumn season dishes, both savoury and sweet. Talking about nutrients – did you know that one cup (205 g.) of butternut squash contains more than 450% of vitamin A RDI; powerful anti-oxidant which rejuvenates, makes your skin glow and improves the eyesight? On top of that, this one cup contains over 50% of vitamin C RDI (anti-age, cell repair, immune boost), as well as abundance of magnesium, potassium and other vital minerals for a strong and healthy body.* Now, how cool is that?
Since coming across these amazing nutritional facts, I kind of started feeling guilty during thermal processing which significantly lowers nutrient amount levels. You do want it all; well-rounded meal bursting with flavours AND nutrients. You want a good overdose of anti-age vitamin A and to maintain titanium immune system with excess intake of vitamin C, right? Bring it on nature 🙂
Well, I decided to challenge the nature, and soon after, on a fine relaxing weekend morning, the answer came. As it is my Saturday mornings tradition, I was getting ready to mix one of my rocket fuel smoothies for a proper kick off. Then the idea came – how about replacing raw beetroot with few cubes of freshly chopped squash? Hm… Of course I could not resist 🙂 It felt very exciting to test something new, and to play around with selection of supporting ingredients in order to get the right, yummy, perfectly rounded flavour. After couple of minutes, mission was successfully completed, and Smashing Pumpkin Super Smoothie was born))
Oh my! This is actually the only line I could say after just first sip. Complete ecstasy on body and mind level, impossible to describe! You just have to taste it to believe it.
My status for the weekend: feeling pumkilicious 🙂 What’s yours?
Keep painting your life in bright colours guys!
Sooo indulgent, sooo rejuvenating, sooo energizing!!! Each ingredient in this amazing Smashing Pumpkin Super Smoothie brings a bunch of extraordinary benefits to the overall wellbeing. Autumn has never been so colourful, healthy and yummy 🙂
- 1 Larger banana (at least half ripe)
- handful (cca. 80 g.) Butternut squash or any other pumpkin of your choice
- 1/2 tbsp Peanut butter
- 4 larger Pitted soaked dates
- 200 ml Plant based milk – soya, oat, coconut, rice or almond
- 50 ml Water from soaking the dates
- 1 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground ginger (or 1 tsp of freshly grated)
- 2 tsps Maca* (see notes)
- 2 tsps Collagen* (see notes)
Soak dates overnight, or 15 minutes before preparation in a hot water (it is not necessary to boil it, plain hot tap water will do).
Cut a slice of pumpkin. Peel it and chop it roughly (makes it easier on a blender).
Place all ingredients in a smoothie maker or a high speed blender.
Blend for about a minute.
Pour smoothie into 2 serving glasses and start indulging immediately 🙂
Extra notes & tips:
- Ripeness of banana greatly affects overall sweetness and fullness – the riper the better
- * Maca and collagen – this is optional. Feel free to play around with supper food ingredients. Moringa, wheat grass powder or matcha are also an excellent choice. In case you do not have any of above in your cupboard, that is totally fine as well; sole cinnamon and ginger as the base will do just fine.
- Plant based milk selection – for the fullest flavour, the thickest consistency, and the highest amount of nutrients (calcium and proteins), my vote goes to good quality soya milk. If you are not on best terms with soya, opt for alternatives, this smoothie is fully opened to custom design 🙂
- Also feel free to adjust sweetness levels. My taste is quite conservative, you might want to add couple of more dates or few drops of honey/plant based sweetener such as agave, rice or maple.